Operation Smart Island Economies aims to transition islands to 100% renewable energy by accelerating commercial investment.
Islands face increasing challenges from their dependence on imported fossil fuels, which impacts the prices they pay for everything from electricity to food. This is further complicated by the added demand that tourism places on the island’s resources. Natural energy resources are abundant on islands. However, the systems required to use them have not been widely implemented and scaled.
This lack of implementation is the result of multi-market barriers that islands and technology providers encounter. These multi-market barriers include local permitting, long-term fossil fuel contracts, and other legislative barriers. What is missing is a scaled regional approach to these barriers.
We seek to bridge this gap by working with islands to identify these barriers and create a regional roadmap for making the necessary changes. This roadmap would detail solutions that can attract both private sector investment and aggregated demand for large-scale renewable energy systems. Learn more about our island selection criteria in the background section.
Our finish line has islands rich with renewable energy systems–and with a strong commitment to fast track becoming completely fossil-fuel-free.
- Invitation to Bid
- The Carbon War Room now invites proposals to provide the following consulting services: Commercial Advisory Services for renewable energy and waste-to-energy projects under the Ten Island Challenge. The Carbon War Room is looking for qualified firms and consultants to manage the development, dissemination, and execution of Request for Proposals for solar, wind, hydro, geothermal and waste to energy investment projects.
- This Invitation to Bid has been addressed to a number of consultants; however, proposals will be accepted by all interested qualified firms and consultants.
- A consultant/consultancy firm will be selected under the Quality and Cost-Based Selection (QCBS) method and procedures described in this Invitation to Bid.
- Please also see Clarification 1 and Clarification 2, as well as Addendum 1 and Addendum 2
- General Procurement Notice
- The Ten Island Challenge will require the consulting services, goods and related services of firms, consultants and suppliers that have proven experience in all the disciplines of renewable energy (i.e. wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, waste-to-energy, etc.).
- Procurement of contracts funded by and through the Carbon War Room will be conducted through internationally accepted standards and procedures such as those issued by the International Organization for Standardization.
- Specific procurement notices for Request for Proposals and Invitation to Bids and other bidding documents issued under the auspicious of the Carbon War Room for contracts for consultancy services and goods will be announced, as they become available, on the Carbon War Room website and other advertising mediums.
For more information, view the Ten Island Challenge Overview document